Sunday, February 20, 2011

7 defining influences: #5 The collective


This the is countdown of the seven most important influences or influencers that formed me and who I am today - when it comes to music.

I spent three or four of my university years living in a collective. The apartment housed three (and a half) students and when adventurous Hagar moved out E. and I decided to have a look att a tall bloke who had just moved into one of the dormitory's a few floors down.

The interview was a serious affair. Two issues needed to be resolved: was he interested in moving in, and what music did he listen to.

He answered "yes" on the first, and "pop" on the second.

We returned back to the apartment and discussed what to do. What exactly did he mean by pop? What if, I argued, he turned up with a bunch of Michael Jackson records, or maybe even Back Street Boys? Was it worth the risk? I'm not sure E. was equally concerned, I actually think he might have liked the idea of somebody normal getting on my nerves a bit...

I remember feeling very grown up when we decided to take him aboard despite not having mapped out his taste in music. I even think I thought to myself that I might learn something new, even if it did mean listening to Michael Jackson.

Turned out that M. was a perfect match. "Pop" equaled the Beatles, Pixies, Ride, Breeders, Eggstone - a bunch of stuff I was well acquainted with and a whole bunch of stuff that I needed to get acquainted to.

It also turned out that M. became quite an influence, teaching me to appreciate country and softer guitar pop than I was accustomed too. He was always prepared to challenge any of my beliefs, and always ready to test different projects. Like listening to Frank Sinatra on old vinyls for a whole weekend.

Or like the time Kravitz released "Are you gonna go my way?" This was the time before mp3's and unlimited access, and often record companies would release new singles to MTV and radio stations before they were available in record stores.

We both considered that track to be the best thing to happen R'n'R for ages, and after a long night on the town we came back to the apartment, put on MTV and decided to wait until they played the video. We waited a good 4 hours, watched Lenny's drummer with the big black glasses and went to bed without saying a word.

I'm convinced the years in the collective opened my ears to a lot of music I would otherwise have been deaf to. But I still categorize people according to music taste. There are friends, and then there are FRIENDS.

Previous defining influences or influencers:
7. First singles
6. In the car

Remaining defining influences or influencers:
4. The stranger
3. DJ
2. Jerome
1. The tapes

No comments:

Post a Comment