Sunday, April 10, 2011

7 great covers: #2 Hej Joe

Many might not even know it's a cover, but legend has it that Chas Chandler of the Animals was looking for somebody to cover "Hey Joe" with when he stumbled upon Jimmy Hendrix in NYC.

The exact origins of the song are disputed, but the earliest known recording is from 1965 with the Leaves. I never heard any other versions of the song other than Hendrix's, so I would be lying if I said that the interesting thing about Hendrix's version is how it in some or other fashion adds something new to the song.

It just rocks.



Now that actually I have heard an earlier version of the song I must say that Jimi's feels just slightly more interesting.





Previous great covers
#3 Hallelujah
#4 Personal Jesus
#5 When tomorrow comes
#6 Mad world
#7 I'll be seeing you



No comments:

Post a Comment